Friday, August 7, 2015

Trump, Women, and Me

Fat pigs.

Dogs.

Slobs.

Disgusting animals.

These are some of the names that a man who desires to lead our country has called women. As he was asked about it, there were boisterous laughs and cheers from the crowd as he made it into a joke. There were more cheers when his answer was that a big problem in this country is being "politically correct."

It's the year 2015, and a Presidential candidate - in the United States in 2015 - suggests that it's acceptable to use these names for women because he doesn't have time for "total political correctness." Sure, because it takes a lot of time to be respectful to other human beings, and it's only about political correctness.


He said during the debate, "What I say is what I say, and honestly... if you don't like it, I'm sorry."

Well, I don't like it, Mr. Trump, and neither do the millions of women who have been called such names and live today trying to forget how it made them feel. You said it was fun and kidding, "having a good time." So you'd be ok with a man laughingly saying that your daughters and wife are fat pigs? You'd let someone call your little girl a disgusting animal? Somehow, I think not.

The bottom line here is that in so many ways in our society, females simply are not respected as valuable human beings. We are seen as inferior, treated as unintelligent, and given value only for sexual appeal.

Look, I know that I am not the names I have been called - and I have been called several. I know that I have more worth than my looks. But to be looked down on, critiqued, and publicly shamed in large part because of one's gender is simply unacceptable.

I feel confident that Mr. Trump does not represent the majority of men in this country, thank goodness. But the sad truth is that he represents many, and judging by the laughs he received during this exchange, the issue isn't taken seriously by many more. Powerful men berating women. Is this seriously ok?

Further, are we as a society willing to overlook a Presidential candidate's lack of self-control in the words he uses? It's not a matter of time to be politically correct; it's an issue of self-control. It's an issue of respect. It's an issue of dignity. It's an issue in the inherent lack of equality given to females. It's an issue, all right, and it's one that needs to be taken head-on and unapologetically.

I couldn't care less who you vote for and who you don't. What I do care about is women standing alongside men saying, "We won't stand for this. We won't laugh when any human is berated and treated as less-than, and we certainly won't accept it from anyone in leadership."

We're better than this, America. It's time we prove it.

No comments:

Post a Comment